Friday, October 27, 2006

Children's Month in Bohol


Tonight we will eat the pig they have been roasting and the lamb that was killed. The kids have prepared special music and the staff is making Boka salad, which is the inside of a young coconut, mixed with fruit, mayonaise and sweetened condensed milk...I am not totally sure how my taste buds feel about it yet. Shawn and I had the honor of the first sample. I was grateful for his sweet tooth!
This month is "Children's Month" here and tonight is a community celebration. The mayor stopped in yesterday in honor of the preparations. We have made 2 masive chocolate cakes (quite an American touch :)) and will also join in their musical presentation! It is a fun time here!
This morning we did a health teaching with all the kids on hygene. Shawn and Felipe dressed up as "Captain Nemo" and kept the kids laughing as they learned. The most valuable lessons here can be washing your hands or remembering to wear your shoes outside lest the hookworms get you!
I was able to teach many of the teenagers about inventory and how to track your costs and develope a marketing strategy:) It was a blast. I think they had the most fun posing as models with their purses and arranging them just so! These kids are so full of life and love! (I have posted my photo as an example as I don't have permission to post their photos yet.)
Last night our team ran the "Friday night surprise" complete with face painting, chalk drawings, games, music and prizes. I am delighted that we have another week to really invest in the relationships here.
Ellie has been running a fever for 2 days now, so I would ask you to pray for her. They have been low grade with a running nose. It may be teething as she just hit 6 months old, but around here we watch extra carefully!

No comments: