Thursday, October 26, 2006

What an option!


Imagine the little 14 year old that approaches me as I am making some cereal for Ellie..."Atte (their word for sister) You give her breast milk?" "Yes, and a little cereal at night." "Oh, my mother never give me breast milk. She threw me away when I was born and my aunt rescued me." Stop here. "What?" It's one thing to see on paper or to hear from the social worker "her mom threw her away" or "we found her in a garbage can" but it was quite another to hear this little girl stating it from her own mouth in such a matter a fact sort of way. I stutted about how glad I was that her aunt was there to rescue her and how God must really love her a lot to give her such a wonderful Christian family to raise her here at Arms of Love...but inside I am screaming. "Lord Jesus! Thank you for sending that aunt!"and "Oh my gosh please send someone to rescue the other children!"
People here have such a resiliant spirit. They talk about trama as if we were discussing their favorite color. I think the most powerful thing has been the worship and the prayer with their staff! These people serve the children who are rescued from severe situations day in and day out! We have been praying for our team to be a breath of fresh air for them. I am so blessed by the staff here. Many of them come up to us and ask for prayer, many of them ask us to pray for patients and for trust. Would you join us in these requests?
Shawn has been leading the health teachings for the staff. We are leaving them with a copy of "Where there is no doctor" and teaching them how to use it. It is so fun to see them discover how to better help these little ones. I have also had the opportunity to help the staff further research and develop a small microbusiness that they are looking to start with some sweet coconut purses. The children build them during their "craft hour" in the summer break and then, if they sell, the child has 1/2 of the profits go into their personal account for when they leave the home. Brilliant!! We are looking into ways to sell them in various markets.
Marie and Ellie are doing very well here. Marie is delighted to have so many friends to play with and so many books to read :)

1 comment:

justicemandate said...

You can buy a purse through me at the moment. They are $30 and very sweet.
I will post a digital picture of them soon.
Thanks for supporting these kids!!